Jun 12, 2024

How does an artist survive in a capitalist culture?

In capitalism, virtually the only value recognized in the arts is in either entertainment or decoration (the items that can sell; commodities). Of course there is a very vibrant art collection market, but that's as much about theater as quality. Very little of what we encounter in art is about the meaningful qualities of artworks as they effect human hearts, (much of that found in non-profit art museums.) Many artists struggle with how to create meaningful art in that context. ome to create art that can't be sold–– that disappears, is destroyed by natural forces or in other ways, as the artist Banksy recently did, programing an artwork sold at auction to immediately be shred when the gavel came down! 

My Muse altar in my studio
I was all my young life tormented by this inescapable dilemma.  Then 30 years ago with my sister's help, I created the perfect solution for me: she and I wrote the vows for a religious/artistic order that I then devoted myself to. The vows are modeled on those of monastic orders, including Poverty (living close to the bone), Chastity (remaining faithful to my Muse alone) and Obedience, (obeying the Muse's voice, regardless how ridiculous I feel the call to be.) This allowed me to devote myself to a greater power rather than the depraved forces of the market. (One of the worst things that can happen to an artist is success, which then traps them in a prison of obedience to outside forces and usually kills the art.) 

For me, devoting myself to the Muse gave my life purpose and direction that completed me and has rescued me from disaster ever since. (The image is of my altar to my Muse, where I make sacrifices and offer gifts.) Thus my "art" only appears so to others. In my own mind, these productions are rather prayers, outpourings of my soul only between me and God. They only become "art" when shared with another person, who can of course see in them whatever they wish. So it is that I'm the creator of my own religion, and the sole member of it!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.