Dec 17, 2017

Jesus Is My Spouse



I shiver, curled in one corner of our bed
"Penetration", graphite, by Tim Holmes
Yet another unyielding night alone
Dreaming of his dank-warm body,
his tender caresses that fired my blood,
     filling me with the light of salvation,
     now some distant recollection.

Every need must feel harsh as mine!
How many lepers would I condemn,
How many tax collectors fall
Were I to request a night of him?
I could've loved a fishmonger
    Who'd deign to share my smelly bed
    My Lord, must you so test my faith?

I heard Mary had asked for you, they say
You answered, Who is my mother?
See, I dare not lift my head in plea!
I prefer this stoic silence to such death
That, night upon frigid night,
     Lies across my trembling flesh
     So intimately I'm called his wife!

I wonder how soon I'll starve
Here in the stark, long shadow
Of the most loving man in time.


-Tim Holmes

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.