May 26, 2010

Run-in with the police.

I was not a week home before I had an incident!   I was working in my beloved studio when I heard a rustling in the next room.  Opening the door I was startled to find a strange man!  I politely introduced myself and asked what he was doing.  Well, he said he had come to pick up some stuff for his boss but could neither remember his name nor produce the key he said he'd used to enter.   I managed to accompany him outside to show me what was up, and he took off running, followed by two accomplices, and then– why not?– by me. I chased them a couple blocks to a busy intersection where we shared an awkward breather waiting for traffic before starting off again.   I figured I'm in as good shape as they are so I'll just run until they dip in somewhere where the cops can trace them later.  After a few blocks at a pretty good clip we passed an electrical worker whom I asked to call 911 for me.   My prey scattered at that point but in a few minutes we had seven patrol cars cruising the neighborhood (finally some action in this town!) and soon they had all the guys rounded up, along with a small collection of my watches and stuff they'd swiped.

They were all juviniles, which is really a shame.  Hopefully this gives them a little humility and, if possible, some shame.  But the fact is, there are few opportunities here.  Turns out a friend of mine says the burgler had come to his resteraunt looking for a dishwashing job and was turned down.  What's kid to do?  I wish I had a good answer.  I don't have my stuff back yet but I do have a good story.  There's actually something kind of dear about it isn't there?- like a welcome party thrown by the local vandals... Anyway I'm happy to be home.  And I'm glad it's not me in the slammer.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.