Jan 13, 2023

Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Every wonderful gift that tech delivers is accompanied by an invisible cost, often one that lies hidden for decades. Creating SOUL in a human is a lifetime task that gives meaning to life. AI increasingly absolves us of creating soul for ourselves. Doesn't this just continually degrade human ability and empty out our reason for being alive?

"Anima Mundi", by Tim Holmes
As a sculptor I recently prompted an AI image generator to create an artwork in my own style. I didn't like the result but a dear friend looked at it and said "You should make that!" What is my value now? I prefer my own creation, but if my friend doesn't see a difference haven't I lost some of my reason for taking up space on the earth?

This incident doesn't diminish my true value in any sense; I'm still loved and appreciated, and my creativity is intact! But if the whole of my professional life––with my years of struggle, training and refinement–– is suddenly "replaceable" by AI, then haven't I lost my agency? The problem lies not in me, but in the sensitivity of the other

So what about when I switch roles and inhabit that of the "other"? I can appreciate an AI-generated painting in the style of Van Gogh, but what have I lost if I can't find that critical human element that is lacking therein? Currently I have to lower my standards significantly to accept an AI "Van Gogh". But if I were paying an artist to create something for me, eventually I might not have to lower my standards at all to accept an instant, free alternative rather than wait months for an expensive original creation. Then what's happened to me? Have I not lost my creative capacity to respond to the human element? Or have I simply decided the human element is worthless to me?

fake Holmes
AI-generated image "in the style of Tim Holmes"

We all face the same choice. One is to demand that life present us a struggle and thereby a worthy humanity retains its value. After all, it's the trained pro that's really good at anything; one who's overcome the struggle. On the other path we simply relax into existence as pointless wards of the tech-state, devoid of any talent, skill or reason to aspire to anything! 

Soon none of us will be irreplaceable by a free AI program. Last year I wasn't on that list as an artist. This year I am. I've been made obsolete! Not to my intimates, of course, but to virtually all others. Besides my fervent friends, who will ever pay for an image of mine if they can get a free AI to make one that ––as far as they can tell–– is just as satisfying?

This, now, is the moment of our choice. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.