Feb 28, 2019

Message in a Bottle for You

Hello friend,

It could be that you are reading this long after I'm dead, but I appreciate your eyes in any case. I tossed the bottle with this message into the noisy darkness that is the maelstrom of the internet on February the last, 2019, in the midst of a blizzard, from my perch in one of the most beautiful places on earth; Montana. It is an attempt to see if there is another human being out there. It will apparently float on the ever-expanding sea of data until the internet finally winks out, which could be in 10 years or 10 centuries.

I started this stream some 12 years ago as a means of sharing my cultural observations with my friends as I traveled the world. The truth is we can only recognize our home when we leave it and most of my friends were very interested. But with the increased crosswinds of endless news, entertainment and cat videos, after hundreds of my posts about a whole variety show of issues, I'm beginning to think I'm just whistling in the wind. The internet set us all free to express ourselves endlessly. But it also expands the universe, so that the space between any two people is constantly growing. Soon we will each find alone in a sea of noise, unable to discern if the entities with whom we communicate are real or digital.

Somehow you have found this note. I can't imagine what continents it has drifted passed, but I am glad to have found you. Please write me a note to say you are there. If I am dead and this is 2350 or something, know that there was someone long ago who was thinking of you even then...and who knows? By then the internet may include heaven as well. In which case I'll sing you a special song.

Blessings to you, and on your journey may you find real human connections,
Tim Holmes                   musegaze@yahoo.com

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.