Sep 24, 2018

Art Should Be Priceless. This art is!

I've always resisted the confluence of art and capitalism, as it commodifies art, which I consider a spiritual gift. SO, I'm embarking on a new twist of the Random Gifts of Art project: giving away pieces of art from among my prime body of work. Yes, as a professional artist it will cut into my income, but I really think this tack will prove helpful to me for a number of reasons:
Tim Holmes with the next artwork.
  • Art should either be free or absolutely priceless.
  • I produce much more art than I ever attempt to sell.
  • Part of the responsibility of my creative gift is to share it.
  • I believe art should be for everyone, not the wealthy alone.
  • There is a lot of mindless decoration and mere bad art in the world.
  • Marketing narrows an artist's work to only salable styles. I wish to share ALL the work I do. 
  • The market is too hung up on art's price and viewers on what they can (or mostly can't) afford.
  • Since I consider my artworks kind of like my kids, I'd rather they live with people I know!
Every month from now on I'm going to offer an artwork (painting, drawing or sculpture) to give to a random person who expresses an interest. Since I really want the works to be displayed instead of just put in a closet, I request that each person expressly ask for any work they appreciate. The random winner will be contacted at the end of the month and the art shipped to them.

And so, if you are interested in joining a pool of people keen on an artwork, check every month at the Tim Holmes Studio Facebook page to add your name. My hope is that the process itself will spread good will and appreciation of art. Come along! The first gift will be posted Oct. 1!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.