Jul 6, 2010

Documentary

I've had the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of having a film crew come from Austria to work on a documentary they have been filming about my work.  Karin Wally is directing and they have filmed in Vienna, St. Petersburg and now a few cities in Montana, interviewing people about my art.  It was great fun for me, as I didn't have to do anything but talk and keep from tripping over their equipment, at least one of which I did pretty well.  The film won't be released for several months, after dozens of hours of footage are boiled down to a 45 minute piece.  (I hope in the end they decide to keep the parts where people said something nice about me.)

I heard some great interviews in the process, but perhaps my favorite was one with Lyndon Pomeroy, the sculptor under whom I served as apprentice in 1975.  He was born into essentially a pioneer's world and was one of the first welded metal sculptors in America.  He may not be a master at art, but he is a master at being an artist in a place where survival alone was a touch-and-go enterprise.  Now, at 85, he is one of the few yet living who has one foot in an agrarian life that is little different from that of the ancients.  I feel so honored to have learned my craft from him!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.