Nov 27, 2009

Great European ideas

I have been living here for a year and I have collected many things I do and don't miss.  I haven't had a soda in a year, which I don't miss.  (Popcorn and pumpkin pie is another thing entirely!)  Besides finding some weird ideas– like having your dog tote the sausages, or that Austrians are very health-conscious but everybody smokes!– there are some great ideas too, that deserve to spread around the world.  Many are well-known like tiny cars and free health care.  Here are a few of my faves:

  • Hiking concerts- hike through the countryside from one stage to the next!
  • Secure city lost-and-found bins for deposit of any kind of found item.
  • Windows that hinge in two directions, opening at the side or the top.
  • Night power- a cheaper electric rate at night, when demand is never at peak load. 
  • Frequent recycling bins on the street, for clothing and shoes too!
  • Small instant water heaters for each delivery point- fast and flexible.
  • Cobblestone paving over utilities- allowing street repairs to be DONE when they are done.
  • Mud playgrounds for kids (OK OK, but the kids love it!)
  • Internet sticks- take access with you!
  • Toilets with adjustable flush- a thing I wish everybody in Las Vegas had!
  • Paths cut into public plazas for blind people to follow.  I wanna try it out! Hey buddy can I borrow your cane?
  • Hammock park- a city park full of big hammocks slung between the trees!    And my favorite...
  • An Alzheimer's residential house that is completely decked out like the 60's.  This is a capital idea! 
I'd tell more but it's time for the Ed Sullivan show.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.