Jan 18, 2019

I'm Living 30 Years in the Future

Being an artist working for myself I've had the remarkable freedom to craft my life pretty much the way I want it. Having attained a certain security, (no longer with a family to support, admittedly), this is how I want to live! Recently I realized how weird a life it is. But truth is I think this is how most people in the US will be living about a generation from now. Listen to this and see what you think:

I work every day doing what I most like, but almost always for free.  (I've retired from being an art businessman and now I'm an artist!)
2049: Many of us will still spend our days working, but for some cause or delight of our own choosing.

I'm paid a small stipend that serves as a basic income.  (Mine is from wise investments years ago.)
2049: Most of us will probably live on a basic income distributed by the government, generated by taxes on the bourgoise, owners of the robot production that will do most all the work.)

I enjoy comprehensive, free healthcare.  (Mine is Medicaid)
2049: Universal single-payer healthcare will have been the standard for some years.

I've surrounded myself with beauty, not material aquisitions. 
2049: Consumerist culture will be a bad chapter in our history, a fading memory of misplaced values, while most people live rich lives of personal fulfillment.

Much of my time is spent in social, artistic, educational and charitable pursuits.
2049: Duh.

I live in a community where I can walk or bike to most everything I need, and where there's nature close by. (For me it's a smallish town in the mountains, so that's been easy for a long time.)
2049: Even cities will be better designed with walkable neighborhoods, infused with natural areas.

I create more energy than I use.  (Solar panels on my studio generate twice my usage.)
2049: We will all be generating power, with our everyday objects, our roofs, our sidewalks, etc. and most of our tools will be electric.

What else could a person ask for?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.