Jan 31, 2017

Convictions are Expensive. And Worth It!

"Hitler as an Old Man", by Tim Holmes
Only a fortnight since Trump took the White House, already we're careening off the rails. I can hear the rumble of 1000s of people who died for the lofty dream of democracy turning over in their graves, condemning us for playing so loosely with the ideals they actually died for!

I've often wondered what it must have felt like to be in the court of King Henry VIII or any of a hundred egotistical kings and dictators that plowed shamelessly through history. Now I think I can feel it. It's not so much the brash and infantile behavior we know these truncated people exhibit––the kind of shallow idiocy people like Kim Jong Il are incapable of rising above––to me what's so alarming is the painful acquiescence we see in those around them. We know that powerful narcissists surround themselves with yes men, but you figure there's got to be at least a few reasonable humans among them who are simply overwhelmed by the corrupting and irresistible force of being close to power.

I was heartened to hear folks like Speaker Ryan say banning Muslims has no place in the Republican Party. But the party is not over yet, and Repubs are flocking to endorse this ban, apparently (giving them the benefit of significant doubt) against their better judgment. These are clearly leaders too weak to resist the lure of power, a sign of having conveniences where their convictions should be!

I believe wholeheartedly that the resilient and compassionate human spirit will prevail in the end. I only hope that the US doesn't have to be dragged through yet another stinking chapter of history like McCarthyism before we are reminded that yes, we do have a sense of decency!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.