Jan 23, 2016

What's Up with the U.S.?

"The Trap of Violence", by Tim Holmes
I remember the good old days. I was born into a nation that was rebuilding Europe after we helped stop the terrible cancer of Naziism. It really felt like we were the good guys and I was proud of that as a kid.  Of course we had no concept of our relationship with nature and the state of race and women's rights was pathetic but as the movements to address those issues got underway in the 60's I truly felt that my nation was trying to do the right thing.

It wasn't till I hit college that I encountered the idea of corporate crime. I was astonished to discover that adults (former kids, who had successfully learned how to share and be nice) could lie, cheat and steal! Turns out criminals weren't just the thugs in back alleys, but the captains of industry. During the next couple decades I'd learn how much our "democracy" is in the pocket of private interests. My beloved spouse had a dark side!

It was with delight that I heard that the 90's and the internet were going to usher in a welcome new recovery of democracy and human-centered commerce. Instead we got globalized exploitation of workers, the abandonment of the customer, the inexplicable re-emergence of American (and then global) monopolies, and the outright purchase of politicians. Then came Bush II and the abandonment of the American high road altogether. Now the whole world knew.

Here after many years of trauma, I feel at the end of my rope. I no longer recognize the nation I eagerly married. Like a junkie, she's nearly disappeared into her addictions, leaving me bereft and distraught. Now I can barely see the One I Love. I'm not to the point of outright divorce, but my hope of ever gaining back the nation I fell in love with is on the rocks. It's truly a shame. We made such a great couple once! Still I would do anything for her; and do every day. I no longer think she's the princess of democracy I once did, but as her dedicated partner, I will not stop trying to call her to account and so hope yet to save us both.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.