Sep 3, 2014

Last of the Glaciers

Sunrise at East Flattop Mountain, near St. Mary Lake, Montana
I got to hike the trails of Glacier Park for the first time now in 15 years. It's kind of embarrassing that though I live only a 4 hour drive from this, one of the most beautiful places in the world, I've only been there about 5 or 6 times in my life. This trip I got to hike new trails for me and see new sights that are just knock-you-over-the-head gorgeous! It's not that I don't appreciate the great out-of-doors, but that we have so much of it here in Montana that it's hard to get around to see all the beauty.

Last time I visited the park, one of the sights I recall is getting out of the car, and realizing the fellow emerging from the one next to me was Dustin Hoffman. (We didn't talk- he must not have recognized me.) This time I saw fewer superstars but more bears than I've ever seen there before. Three actually! It's nice to know they can still make a living here because some species are being evicted by climate change. I find it sad that we humans are so cavalier with our garden.

It's sobering to realize that if I wait as long as last time and it's another 15 years before I return, all the glaciers will be gone. The many thousands of years of their existence is coming to an end thanks to human activity. If you have not yet visited Glacier, I suggest you do it soon so you too can brag to your kids, "yes, I have seen a real glacier". I wonder what we'll call it then, Ex-Glacier Park?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.