Aug 6, 2014

New Chapter in an Unbelievable Story

"Awakening", bronze by Tim Holmes
This morning a stranger came from out of town to my studio to look at some art. In fact he's working at my Alma Mater, Rocky Mountain College. I shared some of my art and we talked about many of our mutual friends associated with RMC. When he mentioned a bronze I did years ago that few people remember any more it sparked a memory.

I told him about an amazing story that involves that bronze. It constitutes a coincidence so remarkable that I still find hard to believe. In fact I wrote about it here a couple years ago,   Read that post and then come back here to hear what he said next...

My visitor told me that he knew this story. In fact, he knew it because the sculpture's owner had since been through a terrible storm and he had to sell the sculpture to help pay for damages to his house. So he had to sell it and my visitor was the one that bought it. The Awakening had been around the world and was now back at the college where its creator had come from!

This whole story starts to sound like the Red Violin, a tale of a violin's travels through time and generations of admirers. Sometimes I feel like my art gets to have a life almost as interesting as my own.

I have three sculptures that live in the Hermitage Museum and get to see thousands more people than I will ever meet. I have sculptures in Archbishop Tutu's chapel, Switzerland's Olympics Museum, and in many, many places around the world. I wonder what other wild adventures they have had that I know nothing about...Oh the stories they could tell!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.