Jun 11, 2012

Cultural Illiteracy and Hate Mail

I've had a website for my art for 20 years but out of all the 350+ significant
Mirabai, by Tim Holmes
and powerful works depicted there– if I do say so myself– the one that has generated the most dialog has been this image, of the 16th century Hindu mystic Mirabai. Surprise, surprise– the dialog has not been about how significant or powerful the image is!

Mirabai, a luminous poet, is well-known today in Indian culture but almost unknown in the west, Like the Buddha, she left a pampered life as a princess to go into the wilderness seeking the Divine. Legend says that she (as well as other women mystics for the bhakti sect) would wander naked through rural villages singing her songs of praise to the god she calls Giridhara. Though no one can know her motivations for sure, obviously she had a profound impact. I am living proof, as through the mists of history she has inspired me like no other person! In Hinduism I have found the best examples in the historic record of appearance of the radical sanctity of the body.

So it is with sadness that I find it is Hindus who object to this painting, on the grounds that nudity = degradation (click here to read the letters). Fear of the flesh is nearly universal among Western religions, which have covered the body out of fear of its beauty and power, so this is no surprise. But how can genuine illumination come alive in a place where fear and depravity rules? How can ugliness be transformed into beauty? Unlike reading illiteracy, which can be cured with simple education, this kind of cultural illiteracy can only be cured form the inside out. The ability to care or to see beauty comes not from encouragement (though that helps) but from a deep gratitude and joy from within. Like life itself, no one can give it to anyone else!

These Hindus want me to destroy this work because they can see nothing but depravity in it. I find this tragic (and common!) and I do feel sorry but no one else can help them. All of us must find beauty by coming alive– or not– on our own.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.