Mar 22, 2012

A House You Can See From Space

I know it seems astonishing! That's why I woke with a start in the middle of the night. Suddenly I realized that I could describe where my art studio is IN SIX WORDS to anyone in the world and they could find it to within 100 yards. I know, you can do better than that with an address, but I mean a geographic description: "Three blocks Northwest of Montana's capital"! Can you do that?

Oh, you can? Well OK, you're right, you'd have to know where Montana is and that it's not just a generic mountain in Spain or a singer for that matter. But how about this: two years ago I spent Easter in a house that you can see from space. Well I don't mean literally. (Not least of all because, really, how are you going to get out there to prove it?) But here's a picture of what I mean. I'm pointing to the house; in fact the boundary where Germany meets Austria forms an arrow that points right at the front porch, a stone's throw from the point. Which I could even see without my glasses, (were I God). (But wait, if I were God I could have also gotten into space without much trouble, even if I did forget my glasses. But I didn't think of that till just now). (Sorry I digress).

This reminds me of my favorite address ever ever, though; one that my family occupied for a few months in 1974, which can be "seen from space" in that it's mailing address is so incredibly simple and elegant:
The Pond
Haddenham, Cambs.
England

You don't believe me so I'll wait while you type it into your map program...See? Isn't that cool? I know, it sounds more like the home of a guppy! But actually it is. No, really! It is! The house was rented to my fambly by the grandson of the guy who discovered and named the fish... And I bet you couldn't see that one coming from a mile away!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.