Oct 11, 2011

This Changes the Whole Meaning of Columbus Day!

It was really just a fluke that it happened on Columbus Day, but in doing some serious study in Thomas Laqueur's Making Sex yesterday I read what Columbus discovered that surprised me a great deal more than the continent I inhabit.  And that is... the clitoris!  OK, truth is it was a different explorer on a different continent, the Italian physician Renaldus Columbus. But still it's remarkable… he claimed in 1559 that he had found the center of women's delight! No doubt women everywhere were overjoyed to hear about it!

Just think, all those millennia of ignorance suddenly shattered by the devoted explorations of a tireless adventurer selflessly pushing forward the frontiers of the knowledge of mankind! Unfortunately we don't have any record of what Columbus's wife thought of it, but don't you imagine that she was bursting with pride (or something) when at age 43 he published his findings? That is, if she wasn't busy.

I wonder what else we clever men could discover if we poked around in the right places?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.