Jul 10, 2011

Bragging Rights: Film, Exhibition, Ballet, Butter, Eggs...


IR photo by Eliza Wiley
Last year at this time we were just saying goodbye to the Austrians who were here shooting a documentary about my art. Now a version of the film called The Moving Art of Tim Holmes, made for European TV, is screening at The Myrna Loy Theater here in Helena, 7:00 on July 14. 

Filmmaker Karin Wally was introduced to my work in Vienna in 2010 and started filming there (including in the stunning Schönbrunn Palace gardens!)  Then the crew traveled to St. Petersburg, Russia, where they interviewed curators at the Hermitage Museum about my exhibition there in 1993-94 (One of the chief sculpture curators refers to me as a "master" in the film... !!!) Following that they came to Montana to shoot interviews and art across the state before returning to Vienna to do post-production. Most of the film covers the more international work I've done, but also includes some background and thoughts by family and friends that's a lot more interesting than what I have to say in it. Along with it is an exhibition of some of the work that is featured in the film. 

What I didn't know when Tess set all this up is that I would later get a commission to design and paint a dozen huge panels for Ballet Montana's production of The Inquisition of Don Miguel, which will be playing in the same theater in about 2 weeks (July 27-29 if you're local) and if I get the work done!  If not, come anyway– you won't even notice, the dancing is so great!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.