Follow this by Email if'n you like

Jun 20, 2011

Have a Bite of Apple?

A dragonfly-size drone was exhibited in 2005.
I was astonished to hear of insect-sized war machines that the pentagon has been deploying. War drones have been getting smaller and of course when the news appears in the mainstream press it's only because the info is so old it's no longer cutting edge.  It's only a matter of time before microdrones too join the ranks of technologies that alone can start a new arms race. Now that many of the drones have been lost or gone astray that starting gun has fired. In a few years we can expect our own skies to host spy insects. (I was going to say "foreign", but does it matter?)

What worries me most is not the prospect of swatting a fly and smearing computer chips across my window (no one I know will ever be important enough to spend that much money on), but that it will affect the way that I, and eventually all humans, look at nature. I don't know if I can ever forget that any bird or insect I see just might be, in fact, a drone. What will that do to the simple pleasure of a walk in the park? We just chomped another apple on the tree of knowledge, kicking us yet farther from the Garden.

My point is not to scare– the pentagon has already done that– but to ask the critical questions: is there any way to stop the mechanization and exploitation of any- and everything? Are humans still in control of this process? If so is there any conceivable way to stop the madness? If not, how can we then live, knowing that if this here is a real bee it might sting us, but if it isn't it might be a stinger missile that's coming. God help us!
Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo

I'm a sculptor/filmmaker living in Montana, USA. I am using art to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and interactive culture. As globalization flattens peoples into a capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.

I see myself as an artist/philosopher laboring deep in the mines of joy. I've had a good long career of exhibiting work around the world and working on international outreach projects, most notably being the first American to be invited to present a one-person exhibit in the Hermitage Museum. Recently I have turned my attention from simply making metal sculpture to creating films and workshops for engaging communities directly, tinkering with the very ideas and mechanisms behind cultural transformation. I feel that as we face tragic world crises, if the human species favors our imaginative and creative capacities we can cultivate a rich world to enjoy.

For me the deepest satisfaction in making art comes in engaging people's real life concerns rather than providing simple entertainment or decoration. Areas of conflict or tension are particularly ripe for the kind of transformative power that art uniquely carries. I invite any kind of challenge that serves people on a deep level.