Oct 4, 2010

Radical Theologian Bishop Spong Comes to Visit

Every year our church brings in a prominent theologian to address contemporary faith issues over a weekend.  I have been looking forward this year to the visit by one of my heros, Episcopal Bishop John Shelby Spong, who was just recognized as the most prominent social theologian of our time.  He is calling Christianity to some serious housecleaning in such of his books as Why Christianity Must Change or Die.  It has been a great weekend and I have had my little pointy head crammed with the bishop's challenges and encouragement!

Tess, (my manager) and I were delighted when Spong and his wife Christine accepted our invitation to come by the studio to see my art.  In fact afterwards we all went out to dinner and talked long about the state and the future of faith.  He liked some of my ideas but not as many as I liked of his!  It was fascinating!  I can hardly believe that plugging along here in my current art chapter, working in an artform that is increasingly drifting away from making decorative objects toward making theology (like my Body Psalms film project) I get to visit about it with one of the most respected theologians of our time  Life is good!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.