May 18, 2010

Austrian Ad Poetry

In Austria I saw a beer ad with this copy: "Ohne Bauch Geht's Auch".  Literally that translates as "without stomach it goes also".  I tried to make sense of it for a long time before I caved in and asked two German-speaking friends who scratched their heads about the meaning, which they agreed is more like: "You can have a good life without getting fat" though couldn't say why that is.  Amazingly, none of those words or concepts except "without" can be found in the phrase! Though composed of very simple words that make absolutely no literal sense, it is still rich with meaning, having many interpretations. You can see even without understanding the language that the phrase is pretty complex just because the explanation is so long while the phrase is extremely concise.  Poetry!

 I won't go into the details, interesting as they are; the point is that language has this richness that can be used in nearly endless ways.  I have thought about this phrase for weeks now.  It constitutes good poetry in the sense not that it is full of important meaning, but of richness.  How this phrase, so opaque to an outsider, can reveal such depth to an insider is the story of culture.  Add to that layers of meaning and you get the story of art.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.