Apr 11, 2010

Mid-City Wilderness

Returning from church I am amazed to cross one of Vienna's busiest shopping streets, Mariahilfestrasse, in near-quiet! The street has been blocked off for a marathon and it feels like a new place; cars are bannished and the street is left to the human beings, as if all the pets got loose at once!  I walk through the scene to continue to my apartment, but my body draws me back and I spend an hour walking down the normally dangerous traffic lane, following its gentle beckoning curve and listening intently.  The sounds are like that of nature, only this is the sound that people make.

The whole street is inviting.  The world is suddenly a gentle place.  There are no motors, only footsteps, soft voices, childern's cries echoing off the buildings and the tender sounds of the occasional runner's breathing.  I notice things that have never caught my attention.  The people all seem like my neighbors.   It is like listening to the pulse through a stethoscope, when all other sounds are blocked.  These are the sounds of the city lifeblood.   My body's suddenly at home.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.