Nov 1, 2009

Art in Rural Vienna


So I go out and do a heroic run at dawn a couple times a week, threading my way up the street to the end of the city and back, for a grand total of about- wait for it- 2 kilometers.  But get this- though this is the edge of town and about 1/4 of the run is through a piece of the famous Vienna Woods, I can still find art!  In fact last time I counted the number of outdoor sculptures I could see during my trot, either on public display or in private spaces but oriented to and visible from the street.  Now imagine, I am not in some gated comminuty where collectors are trying to impress each other, it's just a neighborhood with a village church, school, park; that sort.  I don't know how this part of town compares to others but it's nothing out of the ordinary.  So.  That is the challenge.  Now, the evelope, please...and the grand total number of sculptures over 2K is:... 23!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.