Oct 22, 2009

Museum of Human Relationships


I am learning some fascinating things about Austrians that go a long way to explaining some of the cultural mysteries here. For example in regard to formality. Austrians are proud of their position as #1 in complexity of etiquette. They have protocols for things I cannot even imagine. As an indication of this pride, among the university faculty alone there is a kind of pecking order- a holdover from Imperial days- that manifests in 300+ titles- conferred in a string before one's name- which apparently place each person specifically along that hierarchy. I can imagine how there could be 300 serial divisions of a yardstick, but with a collection of humans, that division is quite beyond me. But that's because I am American and I believe in the basic equality of people. I bet anything that this qualification alone would place me, were I to join the faculty- at the very bottom.

For years I've had vague dreams about making a Museum of Human Relationships to display relationships that history has knocked out of evolution as obsolete (like slavery for instance). Such things should be lost but not forgotten, say I. Austrian Imperial Pecking Order seems like a good candidate for inclusion.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.