Oct 10, 2009

Brancusi and Holmes at the Pygmalion


It is not since I exhibited in the Hermitage that my art has shared such illustrious company!  A small exhibition of my work (15 sculptures and paintings) was “crashed” by a wealthy Romanian collector who owns, among other things, several Brancussi sculptures.  So even though my name was on the billing, two Brancusi sculptures were exhibited  amongst mine!  This is like  Beethoven opening for the Montana Logging and Ballet Co.  Even though we couldn't speak two words to each other the Romanian latched onto us.  By the next morning we had an invitation to an exhibit in Bucharest and to show in a new Vienna gallery.  What's more, we found ourselves entering a bank vault with him and his assistants to see another couple items from his collection.  One was yet another Brancusi: a Bird in Flight in marble which, tragically, he had at one point knocked over and broken in two!  I was deeply touched  when he did something I'm not sure I'd have done for anyone in the world- balanced one piece atop the other for us to view the sculpture as a whole!  Then he uncovered a painting for us to view- an original Matisse!  God is generous!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.