Jul 30, 2009

Sky Monster


Last night a storm came through unlike any I have ever witnessed! It approached calmly after a very hot day and a walk in the park under a hot, clouded sky, oddly abandoned like animals disappear prior to an earthquake. When I got home the storm started with a barf of water. The trees waved like huge, mad underwater squid, golf hail punished the windows, breaking one; rain came in clouds that swallowed the buildings behind us. The sky was FULL of lightning. For perhaps half an hour there were between 5 and 10 flashes per second! ( I carefully counted for quite a while) When I was finally able to open the window a crack, the woodwork armored with towels, there was a strange and deeply frightening noise- the constant, unvariegated roar of thunder, like a continuously tumbling building! Then this morning dawns calm and beautiful- as if nothing happened!! But the world is changed. Down the street huge trees hundreds of years old were toppled. Our neighbors lost all their windows. Welcome to the new world of climate change.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.