Apr 23, 2009

And the (nasty) word is...

This morning I realized something with great shock as I listened to the news in German.  As with any language in this time of globalization, there is a constant influx of foreign words that become part of everyday discourse.  In German the words that come from American culture stand out starkly; clear words poking up like islands amidst a sea of strange sounds: "das T-Shirt, das computer, das hot dog".   Even if you don't know which items from home have become international,  you can learn just by keeping your ears open.  

So it was with a cold chill that I heard in the language coming from the nation that gave us Hitler and the most brutal government in our memory, the line: "Der Ausschuss befasst sich mit Waterboarding."  Along with films, pharses, technical lingo that are unmistakable gifts from America, we now have an American torture technique with our unmistakable name on it. Thanks, Mr. Bush.

How wonderful it will be to once again feel my nation giving to the world words I can be proud to call American, like: democracy,dialog, dignity, respect!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.