Jan 15, 2009

Epiphany

Austrians love holidays and the Christmas season is crammed with them.  I don't but I suspect the Advent calendar may have been invented to keep them all straight.  Many of them are accompanied with rituals and festivals. 

So at Epiphany on Jan.6 I was not too surprised to see little packs of Kings combing the streets of the city. Each had four kids- three kings and a star– wearing Wise Men outfits.  In the evening one troupe came to our apartment and banged on the door.  There were the Kings!  One recited the meaning of their visit and then collected gifts: candy for themselves and money they raise for 3rd world relief projects.  Then they write the King's initials and the date over the door. This assures us good luck.  Thank God.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tim Holmes Studio

My photo
Helena, MT, United States
My inspiration has migrated from traditional materials to working with the field of the psyche as if it were a theater. Many of my recent ideas and inspirations have to do with relationships and how we inhabit the earth and our unique slot in the story of evolution. I wish to use art– or whatever it is I do now– to move the evolution of humanity forward into an increasingly responsive, inclusive and sustainable culture. As globalization flattens peoples into capitalist monoculture I hope to use my art to celebrate historical cultural differences and imagine how we can co-create a rich future together.